Saturday, June 19, 2010

For Father's Day -- AN EDITORIAL ABOUT DEFINING FATHERS

Happy Fathers Day to my Father friends.

Mormon Kulchur displays hypocritical attitudes about Fatherhood. I suppose I could state the situation this way: some of the Saints have hypocritical attitudes about Fatherhood. However, I prefer to believe this problem starts at the Kulchural level and not so much in the mind.

Consider this ---

On a fairly regular basis, we hear priesthood and Relief Society leaders inform single women they too have and exhibit The True Spirit of Motherhood when they help teach and nurture the children of others.

However, in all my life, I have heard one, maybe two leaders, or three, observe publicly roughly the same thing about The Single Male and the True Spirit of Fatherhood.

In this Kulchur, Fatherhood belongs strictly to guys (married -- or not) who have gone through the act of procreation.

Plenty of evidence exists to illustrate that Fatherhood really starts as an attitude, not as an act.

Obviously, my own father provided me with a father figure in youth and adulthood. Interestingly enough, so did some of my friends who were in physical age not much older than I.

I have no fewer than five friends who had sound Fatherhood instincts and exhibited the True Spirit of Fatherhood even before they reproduced.

A friend who of mine, 19 years my junior, has in some basic way functioned as a father figure to me as well. I suspect he may be an old spirit to start.

"Father" should be more than just a title on a birth certificate and a duty to pay bills.

Happy Fathers Day.

No comments: